We are 18 months into our start-up journey and are really proud of the impact we’ve had already. Now for the next phase of growth! We need an outstanding, innovative CFO to take us there.
Who are we?
First Australians Capital (FAC) aims to alleviate the poverty and disadvantage in life outcomes experienced by Indigenous Australians by building on the strengths and assets of Australia’s first peoples:
- Strengthening First Australians cultural capital – strengthening individual’s identity and self-esteem; rebuilding social and cultural values.
- Enhancing First Australians creative capital – stimulating creativity and innovation, building resilient and empowered communities.
- Harnessing First Australians economic capital – creating jobs, accelerating entrepreneurialism, establishing enterprises and driving prosperity.
Our Mission is to invest in Indigenous economic independence by linking 60,000 plus years of Indigenous business experience with the modern marketplace. We believe that Indigenous businesses can contribute enormously to build a new economy for all Australians.
We are looking for a true strategic partner to the CEO and Chairman who has strong experience in a growth organisation. Your mandate will be across:
- Member of the Executive team
- Board presentations and representing at board level
- Meeting reporting requirements including ATO (IAS, BAS, FBT), ASIC and Government NFP reporting requirements including those for a Public Benevolent Organisation.
- Governance responsibilities
- Work with the CEO on the strategic vision including fostering and cultivating stakeholder relationships as well as assisting in the development and negotiation of contracts.
- Oversee the IT department to maintain accounting systems, ERP and other projects with appropriate access and training for team members
- Manage relationships with auditors, tax advisers, brokers, bankers etc
- Hold appropriate insurances for FAC
- Funds Management
- Manage the preparation of the company’s budget, reporting on variance to the budget
- Forecast cash flow positions, ensuring sufficient funds are available to meet operational and capital investment requirements
- Maintain Investor and Banking relationships
- Maintain a documented system of accounting policies and procedures
- Manage cash flow cycle
- Maintenance of the general ledger and accounting subsystems
- Process accounts payable and receivable
- Financial Reporting and Analysis
- Oversee the management and coordination of all fiscal reporting activities for the Organisation including
- Ensuring the delivery of accurate and timely financial reporting by coordination of the month-end close and year-end close cycles for operational management – including P&L, cash flow statements, Balance Sheets and KPI reports.
- Production of statutory accounts
- Payroll and related payments to employees and contractors
- Ensure the accuracy and integrity of accounting records and financial systems
- Active management of overheads whilst seeking out areas for efficiencies for savings
- Ensure adequate controls are installed and that substantiating documentation is approved and available such that all purchases may pass independent and governmental audits
- Preparation of the general purpose annual Financial Statements and liaising with external auditors
- Provide relevant & timely ad hoc financial information to enable a balanced and objective assessment of company performance
- Interpret the company’s financial results to management and recommend improvement activities
- Monitor banking activities of the organisation
- Deal Oversight
- Establish and provide support to FAC’s credit committee.
- Work with FAC Business Advisors to assess possible deals for eligibility for bank loans.
- Seek out and establish relationships with lenders who can provide capital to the ventures we support.
- Fund Oversight
- FAC will be raising our own fund to support our mission, so we will need you to be the CFO of our fund as well (experience as CFO of an investment fund would be great)
- Team Leadership
- Assess the benefits of all prospective contracts and advise the Executive Team on programmatic design and implementation matters.
- Generate an operating budget and provide cost analysis support, and compliance with all contractual and programmatic requirements. This includes:
- interpreting legislative and programmatic rules and regulations to ensure compliance with all Federal, state, and contractual guidelines
- ensuring all government regulations and requirements are disseminated to appropriate personnel
- monitoring compliance
- Participate in developing new business for the executive team, new funding opportunities, the drafting of prospective programmatic budgets, and determining cost effectiveness of prospective service delivery.
- Assist in performing all tasks necessary to achieve the Organisation’s mission and growth plans.
- Support and develop the whole team, and grow a finance team in the future with effective management.
- Give direction and leadership towards the achievement of organisational and ensure Finance is properly supporting the needs of the operating businesses.
Our dream person
- An ability to operate at strategic and operational levels
- Propensity to think outside the box, to innovate
- You have an entrepreneurial mindset, with a ‘can do’ mindset
- Strong analytical skills to understand business requirements and decompose into more granular level requirements
- Effective communication skills; listening, written and verbal; ability to communicate complex concepts to both technical and non-technical stakeholders
- Strong collaboration with internal and external business partners at all organisational levels
- Ability to be agile and fluid
- An in-house Financial Controller or CFO
- Five to seven years of financial experience and management experience with the day-to-day financial operations of a NFP organisation
- Some experience from the big 4 preferred
- Experience managing a fund is essential
- Start-up / high growth venture experience is preferred
- A demonstration of your commitment to social impact will be meaningful
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA) or CA equivalent
- Post qualifications preferred
Any equivalent combination of education and experience determined to be acceptable.
What’s the deal?
- Hours: 21 hours (60% of a FTE) – across 3 days or 5 days school hours
- Location: Will be good to have you in the office in Circular Quay at least 1 day a week when the CEO is there (Tues, Wed, Thurs), but you can work remotely / in the office or wherever suits you, otherwise
- Salary: up to a Full Time Equivalent of $133k base salary + Super ($80k + Super for 21 hours)
- Benefits: You can access the highest level of salary sacrificing at the FAC, up to $16k per year (which is not prorated); plus a $5k meal and entertainment card (also not prorated). Because we are a public benevolent organisation, salary sacrificing can include your mortgage, car and computer equipment for example. This is worth about $30k gross, on top of your part-time salary.
How to apply
You’re probably our dream person if this is your dream job. Please tell us about yourself and why that is, in your Cover Letter through Beam.
FAC values diversity in our workforce and encourages applications from candidates of all backgrounds, including Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples.
Related Jobs (7)
Infrastructure Research and Portfolio Analyst | Melbourne | 3-4 days on February 14, 2019 Permanent Part Time
Manager – IT Audit & Technology Risk | PwC | Melbourne | Part-Time: 4 days on September 20, 2018
Manager, Internal Audit | PwC | Melbourne | Part-time: 4 days on September 20, 2018