Western Sydney University is a modern, forward-thinking, research-led university, located at the heart of Australia’s fastest growing and economically significant Western Sydney region. Boasting 10 campuses – many in CBD locations – and more than 190,000 alumni, 48,500 students and 3,500 staff, the University is culturally diverse with a strong connection to Greater Western Sydney, working with its communities and businesses to contribute to the region’s growth. The University is ranked in the top two percent of Universities worldwide, and as a research leader, 80 per cent of the University’s assessed research is rated at ‘World Standard’ or above.
The Office of Strategy, Business Development and Procurement is responsible for developing and leading the Divisional strategy, providing high level strategic, commercial, procurement, financial, governance and project advice.
Purpose of the role
We are seeking a Commercial Contract Manager, Information Technology and Digital Services to lead, develop and execute strategic high level commercial activities to ensure effective and robust commercial practices and contract management frameworks.
The role will support the Office of Information Technology and Digital Services in leading selected complex and advanced negotiations, the establishment of commercial agreements and identifying areas where contractual risks need to be managed / mitigated as a subject matter expert.
To be successful in the role you will need to have:
- Expert commercial and contractual knowledge and specialisation in information technology and digital contracts and commercial arrangements.
- The ability to bring strong stakeholder engagement experience, advanced negotiation capabilities, sound analytical skills, and an ability to establish best practice commercial and contract management practices.
Key challenges of the role
- Ability to quickly grasp commercial and legal complexities in forming information technology and digital services commercial arrangements and to determine the strategies and approach to achieve satisfactory commercial outcomes.
- Generate active engagement and cooperation among senior stakeholders across the Division and University to develop and deliver complex commercial strategies, a common approach and manage stakeholder expectations.
- Lead and drive consistency and adherence to relevant commercial and legal policies, procedures and practice across the Division.
- Understand the broader Western Sydney University strategic direction to lead and influence strategic commercial decisions to the benefit of the University.
The capacity to work with executive management in a cooperative and collaborative fashion, and the ability to view commercial success from both strategic and operational perspectives.
- Proactively implement change (where appropriate) to enhance commercial practices and the ability to engage stakeholders effectively to bring them on the journey.
- Ability to work autonomously and the self-motivation to achieve deliverables in line with strategic time frames.
Must-have skills and qualifications
- Degree or postgraduate level qualification in a relevant discipline, and extensive relevant professional experience in operational and strategic commercial activities with demonstrated expert experience in complex information technology and digital services arrangements and contractual structures.
- Extensive experience in establishing robust commercial practices and frameworks, with demonstrated achievements in improving the commercial performance of arrangements and the reduction of commercial risk.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and manage long-term strategic relationships with stakeholders internally and externally.
- Demonstrated superior negotiation and oral communication skills that incorporate practical commercial acumen.
- Demonstrated ability to contribute effectively to the information technology and digital services strategic direction of a large, diverse organisation and contribute to policy development and the conceptualisation of effective commercial initiatives.
- Demonstrated superior written communication skills with the capacity to clearly and concisely articulate trend projection, analyses of key performances indicators and high level commercial and contract management advice in an executive environment.
What’s the deal?
- Full time ongoing role with 4 days a week (or 0.8) FTE being considered.
- Location: While the Hawkesbury Campus is the HQ, flexible working arrangements will apply including the ability to sometimes work from home or different WSU campuses
- Salary: A senior remuneration package is applicable to this appointment, and the total remuneration package is inclusive of WSU’s 17% superannuation.
- Starting: WSU would love you to join the team as soon as possible!
How to apply
If you think you’d be a good fit for the position, please apply directly with Western Sydney University at the following link:
Western Sydney University is committed to diversity and social inclusion. Applications from people of culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds; equity target groups including women, people with disabilities, people who identify as LGBTIQ; and people of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander descent, are encouraged.