Western Sydney University (WSU) is a major urban university spread over six campuses in Greater Western Sydney, a region of great opportunity, diversity, challenge and growth. The University has a strong connection to Greater Western Sydney, working with its communities and businesses to contribute to the region’s growth. The University is culturally diverse, with 3,000 staff and 40,000 students drawn from Australia and around the world.
The Division of Finance and Resources is headed by the Vice-President (Finance and Resources) who reports to the Vice-Chancellor and President. The Division comprises:
– Office of Finance
– Office of Information Technology & Digital Services
– Office of Estate and Commercial
– Project Management Office
– Office of Strategy, Business Development & Procurement.
Purpose of the role
With Western Sydney University going through so much growth, this is a new role whose primary purpose is to undertake commercial and contractual activities across the University including establishment, negotiation and management of alliance arrangements, large construction contracts and complex commercial arrangements.
- As the Commercial Contract Manager you will lead, develop and execute strategic high level commercial activities to ensure effective and robust commercial practices and contract management frameworks.
- We have a substantial portfolio of capital works, facilities and information technology activities with more to be initiated.
- This role involves using a range of legal, negotiation and stakeholder management skills to expertly support and advise the executive management team.
- You’ll need comprehensive experience with commercial management and structuring large complex deals and alliances; and contract establishment and management. You will need to ensure best practice commercial and contract management practices are being upheld, as well as coaching and developing others that are involved in commercial activities.
We need someone who:
- Can work independently
- Has very strong stakeholder engagement experience
- Potentially has a legal background or equivalent practical contract drafting experience
- Has advanced negotiation capabilities
This role reports to Carol Simpson, who is responsible for Strategy, Business Development & Procurement.
Beam has helped place 4 Beamers into Carol’s team!
Of the working environment at WSU, Carol says:
“The Uni is in a really exciting growth phase. We have an ability to add value in an transforming sector. This environment suits someone who is keen on a dynamic change environment and collaborates well with others. We are lifting up the flexibility culture within the environment too. There is a lot of cool strategic stuff to do. We’re building the team to bring new capability to meet future requirements.”
Key challenges of the role
- Understanding the broader WSU strategic direction to lead and influence strategic commercial decisions that benefit the University
- Generating active engagement and cooperation among senior stakeholders across the Division and University to develop complex commercial strategies, a common approach, effectively managing stakeholder expectations
- Leading and driving consistency and adherence to relevant commercial and legal policies, policies and practices
- Proactively implementing change (where appropriate) to enhance commercial practices and the ability to engage stakeholders effectively and bring them along for the journey
Must-have skills and qualifications
- Ability to provide commercially focused legal support
- Excellent knowledge and understanding of corporate law and procedures
- Demonstrated ability to create legal defensive or proactive strategies
- High degree of professional ethics and integrity
- Sound judgement and ability to analyse situations and information
- Excellent drafting skills
- Excellent negotiation skills
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills with ability to communicate to people in a range of positions
- Project management skills
- Ability to manage competing priorities and escalations
- Ability to work autonomously
- Self-motivation to achieve deliverables in line with strategic time frames
- Part-time: 4 days per week
- Location: the beautiful Hawkesbury campus in Richmond, Sydney (30 mins from Bella Vista for instance, with car-parking)
- Starting. As soon as you are ready, we are.
How to apply
Please don’t wait for the deadline to apply! We’ll fill this role as soon as we find the right candidates.
If this is the role for you then sign up to Beam first.
Applying is easy — answer three questions and record a 1-minute intro video so we can get to know you. The video is optional, but it makes a big difference to help you stand out! We look forward to meeting you.