At the ATO, you’ll do work you can’t do anywhere else. Work that is meaningful, diverse and challenging. Work that makes a real difference to the lives of Australians, and that contributes to their economic and social wellbeing.
Deliver a client experience that defies expectations. Design solutions that turn problems upside down. Build cutting edge systems that engage, and make it easier to do the right thing than it is to do the wrong. Shape the way legislation is interpreted and applied, and influence new policy. Test yourself against the best minds in your field, not just here but on a global stage. Be a leader and drive innovation across everything we do.
At the ATO, our people have vision. They’re building a leading tax and superannuation administration known for contemporary service, expertise and integrity. They are impartial, committed to service, accountable, respectful and ethical. They are committed, innovative, and their achievements are celebrated. They are as diverse as the work we do – and they’re empowered, collaborating across boundaries, engaging with our clients and partners to deliver real outcomes.
In addition to the chance to do work you can’t do anywhere else, we offer competitive salaries, the flexibility to provide the best work/life balance for you, generous leave (with the ability to purchase more), 15.4% superannuation, a national presence, and an opportunity-rich environment where you can take charge of your career.
You will have the opportunity to work with strong, empowered leaders who will challenge your thinking about contemporary public service administration and who will help you develop your expertise and do the best work of your career. Work that might take you somewhere unexpected.
The Opening Doors Program
Our Opening Doors program, for example, aims to engage parts of the labour market that would otherwise go untapped. In particular, we’re leveraging the flexibility we can offer – not just part-time arrangements, but things like the ability to structure a working day around school hours. This gives qualified professionals who want to balance work, family, further study or other interests the opportunity to engage productively in the workforce in a way that works for them.
We provide the right technology so they can work when and where appropriate, and the support – including learning and development – they need to get back up to speed if they’ve been out of the workforce for a while.
The Data Scientist works under broad direction and is accountable for performing an important leadership role in the agency and is expected to influence, lead and manage change and take an active role in the implementation of the agency’s strategic direction and make balanced decisions using professional judgment. They will exercise a significant degree of independence and will have accountability for leading one or more work teams responsible for delivering elements of the agency’s operations and contributing to the planning and achievement of agency-wide objectives.
The Data Scientist is accountable for leading, co-ordinating and delivering work with a high level of complexity, technical and/or sensitive projects or work programs that have strategic, political and/or operational significance to the agency. The Data Scientist will demonstrate an extensive understanding of the requirements of the position, as well as the legislative, regulatory and compliance frameworks that underpin its activities.
The Data Scientist will be accountable for researching, analysing and providing a high level of advice to senior management and a wide range of stakeholders. They will initiate, establish and maintain strong strategic relationships with key stakeholders to progress negotiate and/or achieve business outcomes.
- Provide leadership and direction across highly technical analytics projects that will generate value through deploying advanced analytics across the agency, leveraging data assets and external data
- Lead, change and deal with uncertainty in a positive and flexible manner in the development and implementation of innovative and automated solutions, to deliver effective business outcomes
- Apply extensive knowledge of data mining and statistical modelling theories, principles and practices and a variety of machine learning algorithms
- Develop and maintain detailed knowledge of efficient data preparation, processing and classification methods, relational database structures, theories, principles and practices
- Manage the effective preparation and quality of executive reports and/or risk profiles
- Deliver results with a large degree of independence by planning priorities, managing allocated resources, developing and evaluating business outcomes and providing expert advice and recommendations to stakeholders
- Provide authoritative and expert advice and deliver results with a large degree of independence within a framework of policies, priorities, objectives and strategy
- Build and sustain long term stakeholder relationships to exchange information, support decision making and influence others to achieve effective business outcomes
- Tailor communication style and language to present results/findings in a creative, understandable manner that engages a non-technical audience, including translating complex information for others
- Contribute own expertise to drive innovation using data assets available to prototype potential applications of advanced analytics, develop these ideas into future projects in conjunction with stakeholders where appropriate
- Be a principal specialist in a data analysis function and undertake complex research and analysis associated with the identification and sizing of compliance risks, monitoring and profiling, program evaluation, trend analysis and data collection
- Coordinate and manage a data analysis program/s of work, including applying and improving established frameworks that extend beyond the work area to achieve business outcomes
- Plan, coordinate and undertake high profile projects, research, design and systems development to achieve business outcomes
- Understand the agency’s strategic direction and how the work of the data analysis function fits into the agency, community and whole of government
If this role feels like the right fit for your skills and experience, please apply now. We can’t wait to meet you!