Fenton & Fenton is a cutting-edge interiors concept online and physical store based in Melbourne.
We are home to a colourful collection of homewares and furniture, offering a unique shopping experience both online and in-store. With an eye for the bright, the beautiful and the exotic, we love to think outside the box and inspire others to do the same.
13 years on we continue to be a dynamic and collaborative bunch who work hard to ensure our customer encounters are as much about the experience as the purchase.
We are home to a dynamic, creative and collaborative bunch who work hard to ensure our liaisons are as much about the experience as the purchase.
As we grow and mature as a business, we need to approach our business operations more strategically. Therefore for the first time, we’re looking for a dynamic and commercially minded Financial Controller who has proven experience in the retail industry.
Reporting to the General Manager, you will be a key member of the leadership team and responsible for the delivery of a highly effective financial function and the overall financial health of the business. Working in partnership with senior leaders and playing a key role in developing business strategy, you’ll provide ongoing commercial recommendations to drive successful business outcomes by translating financial insight into actionable plans. You will oversee the accounting function and lead, mentor and build out the finance department over time.
In addition, you’ll be responsible for:
- Managing the monthly and annual financial reporting for the organisation (including budgeting and forecasting, longer term financial plans, identifying risks and opportunities).
- Providing sound financial support and insights, including modelling and scenario analysis, to enable the leadership team to make critical business decisions.
- Overseeing commercial decision making from new product initiatives, margin and ROI analysis, building cost models, pricing analysis etc.
- Reviewing and implementing strong internal controls, systems and processes to ensure the integrity of financial information.
- Advising and implementing best practice methods to increase revenue and reduce costs.
- Forecasting and managing cash flow for the business.
- Developing and reviewing annual budgets.
- Investment appraisal and analysis.
- Risk Management to ensure the business has a solid risk framework in place.
- Oversight of payroll, tax reporting and compliance as well as other statutory reporting and tax obligations.
With a strategic solutions-focused mindset, you’ll be comfortable working in a fast-paced environment and have a ‘roll up your sleeves’ mentality (after all, we are still a small but mighty business!)
You are flexible and resilient with a background in retail gained from working in small to medium private businesses.
You are CA/CPA qualified with highly developed technical accounting skills and commercial acumen.
Your confidence, credibility and collaborative approach ensures you build relationships and engage with senior leaders and operational stakeholders effectively. You are a big picture thinker who is able to provide guidance and insight at a strategic level, while still maintaining a strong attention to detail.
Most importantly you are comfortable and excited by the idea of running the end to end finance function of a growing retail business in a very hands-on capacity.
Relevant skills and experience
- Experience in the retail industry is a MUST, ideally working with small to medium sized businesses with a large SKU count.
- A relevant tertiary qualification and CA or CPA required.
- 10+ years of broad-based accounting experience required.
- Strong understanding of accounting, financial and internal-control principles required.
- Advanced excel skills with experience using modern financial / analysis tools.
- Experience with Xero is highly valued.
- Strong interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills.
- Committed, dedicated and with high energy levels and strong drive for results.
- Bonus skills/experience/interests you may have (one or more – great! None – no worries either)
- E-commerce sector experience highly regarded.
- Fast-paced start-up or small business experience is also highly desirable.
What’s the deal?
- Permanent part-time: 3-4 days a week. We are flexible on hours and what days work best for you! Let’s talk.
- Location: The role will be based out of our headquarters in Oakleigh South. We work in a hybrid working environment – a blend of WFH and in-office work; we want to make sure you can collaborate with the team in person.
- Salary: Dependent on skills and experience.
- Starting: We’d love you to join the team asap!
We also offer a range of great benefits including a collaborative work culture, employee discounts, and flexible working conditions.
How to apply:
If this role looks like you, apply asap. Interviews will be scheduled as soon as great talent applies.
If you’re keen to apply and are not already part of our marketplace please sign up to Beam.
Applying is easy — upload a CV, answer 3 questions and record a 1-minute intro video so we can get to know you.
The video is not compulsory, but gives us some further insight into why you would be great for our role. It does not need to be polished, just the real you.
We look forward to meeting you!