InsideOut Institute is Australia’s national institute for eating disorder research and clinical excellence. We aim to transform the treatment landscape for eating disorders in this country. We are a team of expert researchers, clinicians, digital project managers and public policy makers dedicated to finding a cure through innovative research, collaboration and an enduring path of inquiry.
To support this mission, we are pushing innovations in the digital space, harnessingtechnology to deliver quality clinical care for people with eating disorders. We are currently developing an eClinic to deliver early screening, online treatment and pathways to care for people with eating disorders. We are also trialling new projects, including an online recovery tracker and self-help eLearning platform.
InsideOut launched as a national institute in early 2018, receiving political support on both a state and federal level. You can review some media about our launch and grant announcements here:
About the Role
We are looking for a skilled full-stack developer. The role provides a unique opportunity to execute digital learning and health projects in the mental health and research space, from conception to final product.
The role would be 3 days a week. At InsideOut, we value flexible working arrangements. There is a preference for someone who could be available in our Sydney office at least one day a week to consult with the team.
Develop front-end web applications:
- Develop modern web applications using a ReactJS front-end, deployed to Netlify, interfacing with a primarily serverless architecture which includes databases and user authentication.
- Collaborate with UX designers, use software such as Sketch and Invision to implement their designs.
- Implement responsive designs that function across different devices and web browsers.
Develop, configure and deploy back-end solutions:
- Design of serverless architecture including databases and user authentication and authorisation.
- Development of back-end code, ideally in NodeJS, where necessary.
- Design of database schema and data models.
- Configuring backend-as-a-service and function-as-a-service providers to form a comprehensive, coordinated back end solution.
- User authentication and authorisation between multiple systems, servers, and environments.
- Integration of multiple data sources and databases into one system.
- Management of hosting environment, including database administration and scaling an application to support load changes.
Write well designed, testable code using best development practices for future use:
- Use best-practice code management tools such as git
- Use best-practice project management tools such as JIRA
- Implement automated testing platforms and unit tests.
Required knowledge, skills and experience
- 3 years (minimum) experience in web development including experience creating, adding features to, and maintaining large, complex projects.
- Excellent knowledge of HTML5/CSS3/JS and modern web development in React, or a comparable framework such as Vue, Angular or Angular2.
- Experience working with designers and non-technical stakeholders to implement designs which meet requirements and work seamlessly across devices and browsers.
- Experience integrating front-end apps with backend-as-a-service solutions and configuring those solutions to work together. For example, using Netlify, Graphcool, AWS databases, Lambda, API Gateway, Auth0, etc.
- Demonstrated strong organisational, problem-solving and communication skills.
- Ability to collaborate and troubleshoot technical and creative problems across digital projects.
- Proficient in server-side, back-end development in NodeJS, Python or similar.
- Proven ability in rapid prototyping and agile development and project-management methods.
- A great team member and communicator.
- Empathy and interest in mental health.
- Self-sufficient, meticulous and driven.
- Casual, with a 3-day a week commitment.
- Flexible working arrangements.
- Casual hourly rate of pay = $64.32/hour + Super.
- Potential for up to a 1 year contract which may be extended.
How to Apply
If this role speaks to your experience and passion we would love you to apply here through Beam. Just click on apply and answer the questions about why you’re a great fit for this role. If you haven’t yet liaised with the Beam team and been approved, please sign up and we’ll let you know next steps so you can then apply.
We’re looking forward to meeting you!