Weigh-More Solutions is a niche technology (technical and software) small business, a licensed industrial weighing company specializing in National Measurement Approved (NMI) instruments and software. We are embarking on a new growth strategy and looking for an Operations Manager to lead it!
We are a privately family owned Australian company which is one of Australia’s experienced and most respected industrial weighing specialist suppliers. We have a principal focus on weighbridge systems, niche weighing instrumentation, and design and integration of intelligent whole system solutions. Over the past five years, we have invested significantly in the design of sophisticated software suites to include practical applications for both weighbridge and general transaction data management at manned and unmanned Point of Sale (POS). We have established a small, loyal user group of clients through this journey, and we are now at a stage where marketing our Cloud based solutions will help fuel our growth strategies.
We started the business in Sydney some 30 years ago as a much smaller concern, then 21 years ago we acquired some east coast states of a multi-national UK Weighing company that ceased operations in Australia, in favour of appointing agents. This led us into the weighbridge market, and we have operated in the competitive market since, as owners balancing family, lifestyle and business from the NSW South Coast, our main operations have been and are in Sydney. Finding and keeping licensed technical staff and managers in our industry is an ongoing focus. Recent times have seen us recruit and sponsor overseas specialist technicians helping us again to get excited about high growth prospects and product development. We would like someone to join our team in this leadership role, to take the business to the next level.
The mandate: We have an aspirational goal to triple the size of the business over the next 5 years. To do this, we need a strong Operations Manager to manage efficient operations, a strong financial position and to nurture our wonderful team.
The role and responsibilities
As a leader in our small business, we will be looking for you to nurture our current team and help us grow into the future. You will report to our founders who work remotely from the Ulladulla NSW Office.
In the first month, your objective will be to review our operations, get to know our people and business, and make a plan for optimizing processes. There does not necessarily need to be huge changes, however we would like to put strong operations in place as a foundation for growth.
From there, we would like you to put any new procedures into place, and start to manage the business! This will include:
We are looking for an experienced Operations Manager to lead and oversee our business outcomes.
● Developing business management goals, objectives, and budgets to drive sustainable growth
● Designing and implementing business plans and strategies to reach goals
● Ensuring that the company has the right resources (people, supply chain, equipment etc.) to reach its goals
● Design and implement business strategies, plans and procedures
● Set comprehensive goals for performance and growth
● Daily, weekly, and monthly smooth business management
You will organise and coordinate operations in ways that ensure maximum productivity, client service and team collaboration.
● Manage relationships with partners/vendors/suppliers
● Establish policies that promote company culture and vision
● Ensure the smooth running of daily operations
● Lead employees to encourage maximum performance and dedication
The goal will be to ensure the profitability of our company’s activities to drive sustainable development and long-term success.
● Gather, analyse, and interpret external and internal data and write reports
● Assess overall company performance against objectives
● Represent the company in events, conferences etc.
● Governance and risk management: ensure adherence to legal rules and guidelines, able to anticipate and avoid business risks
You will be managing our 10-11 people in the team, including technicians and software developers. We are looking for:
● Practical and nurturing leadership, with a focus on retention and engagement
● Able to provide guidance that enhances performance in a manner which incorporates the company’s vision and culture
Experience and skills
● Proven experience as an operations manager, business manager, general manager or similar role
● Experience in a leadership role within the software, service, trade, or industrial industries
● Excellent communication, organisational and leadership skills
● An empathetic approach to people management
● Adaptable and able to deal with various personality types when it comes to client and supplier dealings
● Thorough understanding of diverse business processes and strategy development
● Excellent knowledge of MS Office, databases, and information systems
● Experience having responsibility for managing a P&L
● Demonstrated track record managing profitable business operations
How will you work?
● 30 hours a week, preferably across 5 days, we are flexible on hours and working arrangements. What works for you?
● Initially ‘getting to know the business’ will mostly need to be in the office, however once running the business, we are open to working from home for some (not all) days
● Location: Smeaton Grange, Sydney.
● Salary: $150k Full Time Equivalent, + Super (or $118k + Super, for the 30 hours)
We are really keen to meet you – if you would love to join the team and can be the business partner we need, please get in touch, and tell us a bit about you via the Beam application form.