We have been growing on average 100% a year since 2015. We are the fifth-largest peer-to-peer car-sharing platform in the world and are on a mission to fundamentally change the way people think about transport. Since starting we have grown our community to more than 4,000+ cars being shared with over 150,000+ members.
Our fast growth and commitment to improving the environment has been recognised through:
- 2014 – Green Lifestyle Awards, winner – transport company
- 2017 – Westpac Businesses of Tomorrow, top 200 winner
- 2018 – SmartCompany Smart 50, 5th place
- 2018 – Service Innovation Awards, Finalist
- 2019 – Australian Growth Company Awards, winner – Company to watch
- 2019 – Deloitte Technology Fast 50
- 2020 – Financial Times High-Growth Companies Asia-Pacific 500
We are looking for a commercially savvy lawyer with at least 5 years of broad-ranging corporate and commercial experience to join our head office team as in-house counsel and company secretary. If you’re looking to get closer to the action in a fast-paced, fast-growing startup with a mission to change the world, this is the role for you.
As Car Next Door’s in-house counsel, you’ll make a significant and direct difference to the success of the business, and our mission to ‘free people and the planet from the one person, one car mentality’.
Your commercially-focused advice will help the business to continue its rapid growth trajectory with solid legal foundations. You’ll learn fast, push yourself, and think creatively. No two days will be the same. You’ll have autonomy and flexibility, working remotely at times that suit you (while allowing for collaboration with the team).
This is a hands-on role, reporting directly to our Head of Corporate Affairs & Messaging. T
his will be a permanent part-time role, starting 1-2 days a week which can be worked remotely or from our Sydney office.
In this role you’ll be responsible for:
- Preparing meeting agendas, minutes, briefings, resolutions and other board documents for the board and committees
- Attending board meetings (held on Thursday afternoons, roughly once per 6 weeks, remote attendance)
- Preparing and arranging for the signature of board resolutions
- Filing company documents
- Maintaining the ASIC register
- Fulfilling duties of the company secretary
- Maintaining the members’ register and options register
- Preparing and managing correspondence with shareholders
- Working with management, board, and external solicitors to conduct capital raising if required
- Reviewing and advising on potential customer disputes
- Preparing for and attending tribunal hearings (or assisting other team members with this)
Compliance & risk management
- Reviewing product copy and marketing materials for consumer law compliance
- Developing and maintaining processes to ensure compliance with consumer law and other legal obligations
- Reviewing and advising on commercial contracts
- Preparing key contract terms summaries for Board approval
- Maintaining the contract register
Legal drafting and copy review
Employee share options plan
- Assist the HR Manager with administration and documentation of the employee equity plan
What you’ll bring:
- Tertiary legal qualifications
- 5+ years’ experience in general corporate law, with exposure to a range of issues
- Strong legal drafting skills, in particular, plain English drafting for consumer-facing documents
- Good organisational skills – you need to be able to manage a busy task list in the time available, and ensure that you prepare ahead for board meetings and other deadlines within your part-time hours
- Intermediate skills in Microsoft Office and G Suite
- An ethical approach to your work, and the ability to handle confidential and/or sensitive information
- The ability to be comfortable and take action when faced with uncertainty and risk – we’re running a new kind of business and you’ll often be working in areas where there is no precedent or established practice
- Meticulous file management and an eye for detail
- Exceptional communication and rapport building skills
- A current practicing certificate is not required.
- A natural connection with our Company Values
Desirable skills and experience:
- Previous experience in a company secretarial role
- Previous experience in an in-house legal role
- Startup / SME experience
- Litigation / small claims experience
What’s the deal?
- Permanent part-time role: 1-2 days
- HQ is in Pyrmont, Sydney, but the role could be done remotely.
- Join a team that supports part time & flexible working
- Starting: we’d love you to join ASAP!
How to Apply
If you’re interested in this role, and have not applied previously, please sign up to Beam. Applying is easy — upload a CV, answer 3 questions and record a 1-minute intro video so we can get to know you.
We look forward to meeting you!