Turtons is a boutique commercial law firm in Sydney. We are looking for a senior commercial lawyer with at least 8 years PQE. The role is available to start in February 2019.
Working at Turtons is very different to working in a large firm. We expect (and want) our people to have lives outside of work, and we manage our practice to ensure this can occur. We are able to do this because we have close, longstanding relationships with our key clients, and also because we’re not afraid to say ‘no’ to new work.
We have a dynamic young team who love working here. Most of our work is in the construction and technology sectors, and most of our clients have an annual turnover in the range of $30-$500m. Our clients see us as an extension of their own team and we are treated accordingly. We are de facto in-house counsel for most of the companies we work with.
We have two highly regarded, extremely supportive principals, one working 4 days a week who is looking to further scale back. Family and balance is part of the firm’s DNA.
With one of our principals reducing his hours, we’re looking for a senior commercial lawyer to join our team and support our existing client base.
The role will involve a range of commercial legal work for clients mostly in the construction or technology sectors.
The work is varied and generally falls into one of three categories:
- general day-to-day advice to senior managers (mainly contract-related advice – eg new contracts, IP licensing, terms of trade, joint ventures, distribution agreements);
- whole of business advice (eg structuring or restructuring, shareholder agreements, employee share schemes); and
- business sales, mergers and acquisitions.
You will be supported by a small team of junior lawyers and work closely with the firm’s principals.
To succeed in this role, your experience will need to have encompassed a fairly broad range of commercial legal work.
You will also contribute to the firm’s digital marketing initiatives which, unlike those in many other firms, are targeted and produce measurable, tangible results.
What we’re looking for
We are looking for three things:
- an outstanding technical skillset;
- the ability to apply technical skills to develop commercially pragmatic solutions; and
- someone who brings a people-based focus to their practice.
Our clients look to our lawyers play the role of ‘trusted advisor’. Although building this level of trust can only happen over time, you will be expected to have advanced technical, commercial and people skills from day one.
You will have a strong academic background. You will be a practical, lateral thinker. You will have a desire to contribute to the firm and get involved, and you will have ambitions to build your own practice (assuming you don’t already have one).
You will play an important role in mentoring the firm’s junior lawyers. You will also have the opportunity to contribute to the firm at a strategic level.
What’s the deal?
- Permanent part-time, 3-4 days a week (ideally moving to 4 within 6-12 months or so).
- We’re flexible on hours if needed (eg to accommodate school drop-offs/pick-ups or anything else). Although there will need to be regular face-time with the team and clients, particularly at the beginning of your role, we are very comfortable with regular ‘work from home’ days as well. We will be looking to develop a routine that works for you.
- We have capable junior and senior team members who can triage your work on days when you are not working. We have strong experience with senior lawyers working part-time and know that we can make it work for everyone.
- If you would like to know more about the firm and what it’s like working at Turtons, check out our video #here
- Remuneration will be commensurate with experience and hours of work.
Other senior role
At the moment we are advertising for two senior roles: a senior commercial lawyer (this role) and a senior construction lawyer, which you can read about #here.
The mix of skills within our existing team means that we only need to fill one of these roles in the short term. We have no preference as to which role that is, and this will be determined by the applications we receive (for both roles). We are more concerned to ensuring we hire the right person, rather than hiring a particular skillset.
We are happy to provide further details on interview.
Applications Can be made here through Beam, with a cover letter explaining why we’re a great fit for you.
Related Jobs (2)
Senior Construction Lawyer | Sydney | Part time 4 days on December 9, 2018 Permanent Part Time
Senior Consultant, Corporate Governance (Business Risk team) | Sydney | 4 days on November 9, 2018