Turtons is a boutique commercial law firm in Sydney. We are looking for a senior construction lawyer with at least 6 years PQE and potentially much more senior. The role is available to start in February 2019.
Working at Turtons is very different to working in a large firm. We expect (and want) our people to have lives outside of work, and we manage our practice to ensure this can occur. We are able to do this because we have close, longstanding relationships with our key clients, and also because we’re not afraid to say ‘no’ to new work.
We have a dynamic young team who love working here. Most of our work is in the construction and technology sectors, and most of our clients have an annual turnover in the range of $30-$500m. Our clients see us as an extension of their own team and we are treated accordingly. We are de facto in-house counsel for most of the companies we work with.
We have two highly regarded, extremely supportive principals, one working 4 days a week who is looking to further scale back. Family and balance is part of the firm’s DNA.
With one of our principals reducing his hours, we’re looking for a senior construction lawyer to join our team. We are looking for someone who is not just driven, but also highly commercial.
The role will involve a mix of front and back end work. We are typically asked to advise on projects in the $5-30m range. Most of the projects you will advise on are commercial or civil.
You will encounter a variety of contracts, mostly modified Australian Standard form contracts and bespoke contracts.
Your advice will be sought on a variety of delivery models.
You will be involved in preparing and reviewing contracts for new projects (both principal and contractor side), helping to develop systems, delivering training, advising on contract administration, and developing and implementing strategies for resolving disputes (including security of payment).
You will also contribute to the firm’s digital marketing initiatives which, unlike those in many other firms, are targeted and produce measurable, tangible results.
You will be supported by a small team of junior lawyers and work closely with the firm’s principals.
What we’re looking for
We’re looking for someone with:
- Strong academic background
- A commercial, practical, lateral thinker
- A desire to contribute and get involved
- Ambitions to build a practice (if they don’t already have one)
- Interests outside of work
You will have a mix of relevant construction experience, weighted slightly towards front-end.
You will be familiar with the main forms of Australian Standard construction contracts and comfortable advising on different construction deliver models.
You will also have experience advising on the security of payment legislation in NSW and other Australian jurisdictions.
The main purpose of this hire is to help us better manage our existing workload, particularly as one of our principals transitions into retirement. However we are looking for someone who will be driven to help expand the practice over time and develop their own client base. Although an existing, transportable client base is not required, it may server to demonstrate your ambitions with respect to the future of your practice.
What’s the deal?
- Permanent part-time, 4 days a week (fine to start on 3 days if you have a desire to move to 4 within 6 months or so).
- We’re flexible on hours if needed to accommodate school drop-offs and pick-ups (or anything else). Although there will need to be regular face-time with the team and clients, particularly at the beginning of your role, we are very comfortable with regular ‘work from home’ days as well. We will be looking to develop a routine that works for you.
- We have capable junior and senior team members who can triage your work on days when you are not working. We have strong experience with senior lawyers working part-time and know that we can make it work for everyone.
- If you would like to know more about the firm and what it’s like working at Turtons, check out our video #here
- Remuneration will be commensurate with experience and hours of work.
Applications Can be made here through Beam, with a cover letter explaining why we’re a great fit for you.
Related Jobs (2)
Senior Commercial Lawyer | Sydney | Part time 3-4 days on December 10, 2018 Permanent Part Time
Senior Consultant, Corporate Governance (Business Risk team) | Sydney | 4 days on November 9, 2018