Western Sydney University is a modern, forward-thinking, research-led university, located at the heart of Australia’s fastest growing and economically significant Western Sydney region. Boasting 10 campuses – many in CBD locations – and more than 190,000 alumni, 48,500 students and 3,500 staff, the University is culturally diverse with a strong connection to Greater Western Sydney, working with its communities and businesses to contribute to the region’s growth. The University is ranked in the top two percent of Universities worldwide, and as a research leader, 80 per cent of the University’s assessed research is rated at ‘World Standard’ or above.
The Office of Strategy, Business Development and Procurement is responsible for developing and leading the Divisional strategy, providing high level strategic, commercial, procurement, financial, governance and project advice.
Purpose of the role
We are seeking a Senior Manager, Categories to lead and develop category management strategies and procurement activities across a range of general categories.
Providing leadership and direction to the Category Management team, you will oversee the establishment and maintenance of key stakeholder relationships across the University and support the implementation of the strategic procurement strategy, underpinning the success of the Strategic Procurement team.
To be successful in the role you will need to have:
You will have demonstrated experience in developing strategic procurement plans across a variety of general spend categories and driving procurement outcomes, exceptional stakeholder engagement capabilities, expert knowledge of tender processes, highly developed negotiation skills and previous experience in leading strategic procurement engagement and activities.
This role will be most suited to someone who is self-motivated, keen on a dynamic change environment and collaborates well with others.
Key challenges of the role
- Developing a detailed understanding of Western Sydney University strategies and available systems and services to develop strategies to meet core business requirements and provide advice on this basis.
- Considerable depth and knowledge of procurement categories is required. The role manages procurement across all areas of the University including some very specialised areas.
- High level influencing, communication and negotiating skills will be required to instill a strong culture of client-oriented service provision.
- Working with executive management in a cooperative and collaborative fashion, and the ability to view the Procurement function from both strategic and operational perspectives.
Must-have skills and qualifications
- Extensive knowledge and experience in driving Procurement outcomes and relevant tertiary/industry qualification.
- Demonstrable experience and knowledge in establishment of category management, category analysis, strategic sourcing, negotiations, contract management and supplier relationship management in a procurement function start up environment.
- Excellent written, oral communication and interpersonal skills, including the ability to work closely with all levels of senior management and all disciplines.
- Experience managing a procurement team or function in a leadership position.
- Strong stakeholder engagement skills, with extensive experience and excellent skills in business partnering and networking, forming stakeholder groups for
- Procurement related activity and ensuring the delivery of value for the University
- Demonstrated ability to clearly articulate cost reduction strategies that have been deployed through strategic category management, with strong examples.
- Expert knowledge of tender processes and high level specification development and evaluation skills 8. An ability to assess business, financial and operational risks and to articulate, develop, implement and monitor risk mitigation strategies in Category Plans
What’s the deal?
- Full time ongoing role with 4 days a week (or 0.8) FTE being considered.
- Location: While the Hawkesbury Campus is the HQ, flexible working arrangements will apply including the ability to sometimes work from home or different WSU campuses
- Salary: A senior remuneration package is applicable to this appointment, and the total remuneration package is inclusive of WSU’s 17% superannuation.
- Starting: WSU would love you to join the team as soon as possible!
How to apply
If you think you’d be a good fit for the position, please apply directly with Western Sydney University via the following link:
Western Sydney University is committed to diversity and social inclusion. Applications from people of culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds; equity target groups including women, people with disabilities, people who identify as LGBTIQ; and people of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander descent, are encouraged.