The Western Sydney University is a major urban university spread over six campuses in Greater Western Sydney, a region of great opportunity, diversity, challenge and growth. The University has a strong connection to Greater Western Sydney, working with its communities and businesses to contribute to the region’s growth. The University is culturally diverse, with 2,500 staff and 40,000 students drawn from Australia and around the world.
The University strategic plan, ‘Securing Success: 2015-2020 Strategic Plan’, articulates the University’s values and commitments of being:
1) A Distinctively Student-Centred University
2) A Research-Led University with Regional, National and Global Impact
3) A Unique Learning Experience that is Innovative, Flexible and Responsive
4) An Expanding International Reach and Reputation
5) A Leading Advocate and Champion for the Greater Western Sydney Region and its People
6) A Dynamic and Innovative Culture that Secures Success.
The Division of Finance and Resources is headed by the Vice-President (Finance and Resources) who reports to the Vice-Chancellor and President. The Division comprises:
- Office of Finance
- Information Technology & Digital Services
- Strategic Procurement and Services
- Office of Estate and Commercial
- Project Management Office.
Purpose of the role
The Senior Project Officer is responsible for the provision of high level project support to the Office of the Vice-President (Finance and Resources) in managing various projects. The position will assist with the evaluation and documentation of commercial projects and initiatives, with input in the design, development and implementation of business improvements. The position will also be responsible for supporting the implementation of changes identified and will assist in drafting key communication documents such as executive papers, discussion papers and business cases.
- Undertake research and manage project work to support the Office of the Vice-President, Finance and Resources in delivering business improvement projects, and associated work arising from these projects.
- Manage projects in concert with the Senior Manager, Strategic and Business Development.
- Facilitate, measure and monitor project activities that lead to the achievement of outcomes and goals.
- Assist with the preparation of papers, summaries, reports and presentations for senior staff and various stakeholders.
- Coordinate collection and dissemination of information relating to work status and projects, providing required updates to various stakeholders, including internal service providers and client Divisional Offices.
- Contribute to the development and implementation of effective commercial development and communications plans for specific project(s) being managed.
- Promote and maintain high level collaboration with senior colleagues across key operational areas of the University.
- Under the direction of the Chief of Staff and colleagues within the Office of the Vice President, Finance and Resources, manage assigned projects arising across all areas of the University.
- Ensure full and accurate records are created to sufficiently document the activities performed by the position holder and manage such records in accordance with relevant policies, procedures and legislative requirements.
- Utilise organisational change management skills and tools to work to develop and embed organisational change and improvement as required to support the Division
The major challenges for this position include:
- The development and maintenance of collaborative relationships whilst at the same time being focussed on key outcomes
- Investigating and developing a good understanding of key processes where no documentation exists
- Negotiating with and influencing key staff where there is resistance to change
Capability you’ll bring
- A relevant tertiary qualification and/or demonstrated equivalent experience in business management, change management including research, analysis, communications, project management, organisational behaviour or a related field or equivalent business experience
- Demonstrated ability to undertake projects, and to analyse data and findings, and to write succinct reports
- Demonstrated high level analytical thinking and problem solving skills with the capacity to successfully manage competing work priorities, meet deadlines and develop effective solutions to identified problems
- Experience in providing administration, management and support for projects
- Demonstrated high level of written communication skills and presentation skills, including the ability to write reports at executive level and to respond non-routine correspondence
- Demonstrated high level of interpersonal skills and negotiation skills and the capacity to develop effective working relationships with clients and key internal and external contacts
- Demonstrated experience in exercising judgment with regard to the release of information on confidential matters
- Demonstrated high level negotiation and diplomacy skills; including the ability to exercise initiative
- Proven experience with business and organisational change management practices
- Part time: 4 days per week
- 6 month fixed term contract to begin, with the potential to go permanent
- Salary (HEW Level 8) + super
- Location: the beautiful Hawkesbury campus in Sydney (30 mins from Bella Vista for instance, with car-parking!)
Please apply here soonest through Beam, with your Cover Letter addressing capabilities required. We welcome all applicants who bring these capabilities to the role.