Social Ventures Australia (SVA) is a social purpose organisation that works with partners to improve the lives of people in need in Australia by helping businesses, governments and philanthropists to be more effective funders and social purpose organisations to be more effective at delivering services.
SVA’s work is underpinned through its three core divisions of Impact Investing, Venture Philanthropy and Consulting. To drive the change we seek, we build on our practical knowledge of effective practice in education, employment, housing, disability, mental health, and with First Australians.
As a values-driven organisation, accountability, integrity, respect and humility underpin our work.
SVA’s Consulting team partners with social purpose organisations, corporate and philanthropic funders and governments to strengthen their ability to address social issues and achieve results. We support leaders to make hard decisions, galvanise teams to sustain success and share insights with the social sector.
We have more than 30 staff in our Consulting team with offices in Melbourne, Perth and Sydney. Since 2007, we have developed unique, on-the-ground experience supporting over 300 clients through 600 engagements. We work on society’s most challenging issues including housing, employment, education, mental health, disability, and Indigenous disadvantage.
We measure our success by the results our clients achieve. Our people are passionate about the work they do and the opportunity to create a better Australia.
While working to deliver a better society, our sector is faced with a raft of additional challenges including major sectoral reform, an uncertain funding environment and increasingly complex social problems. We support clients individually and collectively, to understand these challenges, identify new ways and opportunities to address them and develop plans that are both aspirational and practical.
We believe that results are driven by four levers: a clear purpose, identification and design of the most effective strategy to pursue the purpose; access to smart money to fund strategy; and efficient and effective allocation and use of resources to deliver outcomes. We exist to strengthen these levers, enabling the non-profit sector, funders and governments to deliver sustainable social improvement to disadvantaged Australians.
The Director, Consulting role is a senior role within the Consulting team, ultimately responsible for delivering projects and client development. Directors build and maintain trust-based client relationships, while providing problem solving leadership, coaching and supervision to project team members.
Directors are also responsible for thought leadership, particularly in the identification and development of functional and sector knowledge based on client work and internal research to push existing thinking.
Directors lead SVA’s Consulting business and are collectively accountable for delivering agreed performance both in client impact and financial contributions.
Client Development – build enduring relationships
– Build and maintain strong, collaborative senior client relationships identifying critical strategic and organisational issues that may need to be addressed and recommending how we might support the client
– Facilitate client decision-making using all modes of communication: formal and informal, written and verbal
– Develop trust-based, advisory relationships with clients, as well as other sector leaders, “above and beyond” project work
Lead high-impact client engagements
– Manage engagements to ensure the highest quality, data-driven analyses and client interactions leading to implementation-ready solutions
– Provide operational leadership to a team to ensure on-time execution of key deliverables while balancing the fulfilment of team goals with the professional growth and valued contribution of team members
Develop sector knowledge and thought leadership
– Contribute to SVA Consulting’s knowledge strategy by developing and writing case studies, generating research projects from client work and serving as a subject matter resource to other teams
– Develop and deliver knowledge insights from case experiences that will be broadly applicable to others in the sector
– Author or contribute to the development of SVA Consulting research papers, the SVA Quarterly and SVA Consulting’s debate series
Contribute to growing the SVA Consulting business
– Pro-actively build new client relationships
– Develop new client proposals that become engagements
– Lead and contribute to building initiatives as a member of the Leadership Team (e.g. strategy development, organisational development).
– Serve in various ad-hoc leadership capacities (e.g. facilitating off-sites, presenting at sector forums etc.)
Develop SVA Consulting staff to be world-class
– Effectively manage the formal and informal professional development of team members through mentoring, coaching, and performance feedback, while supporting projects and providing development input to the wider Consulting team
– Other responsibilities as may be required
To effectively perform this position, the person will require the following:
– Demonstrated knowledge, passion and commitment to working in the social sector and on society’s most important challenges
– Trusted expertise in strategy and evaluation tools and frameworks and credibility in informing effective application
– Proven knowledge of project management principles
– At least 10 years of work experience, with more than 5 years of experience working with a recognised strategic consulting firm with business development responsibilities
– An established and respected thought leader in areas relevant to SVA’s work
Proven ability to build and lead teams to outstanding performance
– Strong background developing strategic work relationships and negotiating with key clients and stakeholders
– Proven track record in business development and delivering quality proposals
– Experience in the presentation of key concepts to a wide range of audiences
– Proven experience in coaching and mentoring
Strong academic record including a graduate degree from a recognised program in Business, Public Policy/Administration, Law, Engineering or other equivalent
If you have the skills and experience we’re looking for, have the right to work in Australia and would like to join our growing and dynamic team, please apply now through Beam Australia. We look forward to meeting you!